New: mwSnapshots

Ever since MediaWiki migrated their source control management from Subversion to Git, the tool to download nightly snapshots has been froozen.

I’ve been waiting for a chance to learn more about Git’s command-line tools, so I took this opportunity to work on a new tool where I could do just that.

The new mwSnapshots tool is monitoring all branches of the mediawiki/core.git repository. Once an hour it will fetch all the new commits added to the repository and sync the HEAD positions of all branches. Then, for branches that have changed since the previous run, it will: check them out, create a new tar archive compressed by gzip, and clean up the old one.

→ Check it out: mwSnapshots

Tools moving to Git

As part of the spring cleaning this year I want to get all my toolserver tools in source control. Right now most tools are either in SVN, or not in source control at all. The ones in SVN have a directory in my Toolserver SVN repository in under trunk/[name-of-tool].

Each of those will be getting a Git repository. I will be (one-way) mirroring all of those repositories on my GitHub account.

For issue tracking I never had a central location, but I’m really liking the Issue tracker that GitHub provides for repositories. So I’ll start referring to that as the central issue tracker for tools.

As a start I’ve moved these into Git, and mirrored on GitHub:

Continue reading Tools moving to Git

New: Intuition

Last couple of weeks I’ve been working on a new project, based on an ad-hoc i18n solution I had in some of my tools.

Toolserver Intuition is new tool (a “meta-tool” if you will) that end users won’t interact much directly, but it is used inside other tools. Both my own tools and tools by other developers.

I worked with developers and set up a project there.

The translations themselves and the framework around it is open-sourced in Wikimedia SVN:

More technical details and a short guide on how to implement it (if you’re a Toolserver developer as well) can be found on the Toolserver wiki.

→ Check it out: Toolserver Intuition

Update 2013-10-18: Code moved to GitHub: